Friday, January 27, 2012

Getting Started - first victim

SO I decided to get started right off with my list, which was longer than I thought it would be and I'm not even done with it yet.  I had some time to kill waiting to take my meds (ear infections hurt!).  Since my sewing machine is still in its box, I decided to hand sew it.  Since I had the time anyway.  And I wasn't entirely sure my machine could get over one part of this seam.

So the first victim was a pair of dress pants I bought a year or so ago.  I've lost a few pounds so now most of my dress pants hang on me in an unflattering manner.  These pants were more urgent than the rest due to the lack of belt loops with which to hold them up.  Since dropping trou at work is considered bad form I decided to start with them to see if altering them would work.

I started by putting them on and pulling out on either side, trying to equalize between each side the amount needed to be taken in.  I decided to use the existing side seam as the midpoint for the dart so I'm just creating a new side seam.  My only issue were the pockets.  I had to shorten the dart more than I'dve liked so as not to impede the pockets.  It creates a bit of a point with the extra fabric below the bottom edge of the pocket opening that no longer exists above.  Not really sure what to do about it.  For now I am just going to bask in being able to wear these pants again without being in danger of showing more than I'd like.  The odd ripples will just have to deal.

Inside seam:
Gotta love my hand sewing skills right?  Where the waistband, the herringbone fabric of the pants, meets the black fabric that is the pocket is a thicker seam that I wasn't sure my machine could contend with.  Hence the decision to just sew it by hand.  I used a backstitch to avoid the stitches stretching out and showing on the outside of the garment while it is being worn.

Outside seam:
You can kindof see what I was talking about with there suddenly being extra fabric below the pocket - to the left in this picture.  I'm just going to leave it as is until I think of a solution that doesn't shorten the pocket opening.  Otherwise I can't get my hands in.  Women's clothes have few enough functional pockets that I don't want to ruin the ones I do have.  Any thoughts are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment