So I'm staying close to home today for the most part today. Just don't have any errands to run or places I absolutely need to be. So while waiting for a friend to call with a fabulous adventure, or just to summon me to hang out, I figure I might actually get some things done around my apartment.
So far I've been fairly productive. Not as much on the cleaning front as I'd like (not being a fan of cleaning), but I've done much better on the crafting front.
Gardening: I got a 5 pot pyramid thing from my mom that I filled with potting soil and actually planted some seeds in. The seeds are a bit old (a bit is being generous) so we'll see if they germinate. I'm keeping a positive outlook though.
Cooking: No cooking yet today, but I did heat up some of my leftovers from last night for lunch. Just a stir fry, but I had garlic scapes this time which I picked up at the farmer's market near my job. Never cooked them before so figured I'd give it a shot. Definitely a bit tough, don't think I cooked them long enough. Instead of rice I made some quinoa to mix in at the end. Other than that, just half a yellow pepper that was on its last legs, some onion, and the ever present garlic. Those glass jars I've been saving came in handy for the extra cut-up veggies.
Sewing: Two parter here. On the business front I finished the second piece of a recent commission. The first piece was just replacing some clasps on a pair of dress pants that had come loose. The second piece had me pausing for a bit to make sure I was sure on my strategy. Basically the pants have a pretty white stripe in a navy fabric. Unfortunately one of the seams has the fabric meeting at an angle so there was a spot of a lot of white where it looks like the fabric is pulling apart or something. Not nice. So I took in the seam just a touch so you saw the navy fabric instead and you can't even tell. Much better.
As for personal sewing - 1) I had a soft t-shirt fabric dress I picked up to wear around the house but it was too long so it has been hanging since I bought it. Had to hem it 3", but hopefully now I'll wear it since it is super comfy and does me no good on a hanger.
2) I took in the necklines on two shirts (identical with different color patterns) that gaped open if I bent forward AT ALL. I just took in each neckline an inch only along the actual neckline. I did not do anything to the shoulderseam or top-of-sleeve. The patterns are so busy that you wouldn't notice. I used the same technique on this shirt and it is even less visible on these shirts because the fabric is more loose and drapey.
3) I replaced two buttons, one each on the back pockets of a pair of jeans. The way the pocket flaps hung outward was driving me nuts, but I've been too lazy to fix it. Step in day of being a homebody - two buttons added and I feel much better.
4) And speaking of replacing buttons, I have a pair of linen capris that I haven't been able to wear for over a year because both buttons above the zipper had come off and I never bothered to replace them. Since it is getting hot here as summer rolls in, linen capris might be handy. So I found two (non-matching) buttons in my stash that are roughly the right size and sewed those bad boys on. One is slightly too big, but works. I'm trying to not be bothered by the non-matching-ness of the buttons. Casual pants, and who is going to notice besides me. Or if they do notice, care at all.
So that is the roundup so far. I apologize for the lack of pictures of all this productivity. My computer is down so I am using my old netbook. Which is finicky. So I don't like to ask too much of it. If I'm lucky and the company sends me a new motherboard then we'll be back in business on pictures. If not, then, I'll try to figure something out.