Well, I didn't get much done today. I did finally break out the stitch witchery (pic) to hem a pair of boyfriend's work pants. They are the cotton twill wannabe-denim fabric that makes my machine wheeze. I really need to get a sharper needle for fabrics like that. For now though I am using the iron hem stuff to get the job done.
So I got out my trusty seam ripper - great fun on this project - and ripped out all of the neat little stitches holding the hem up. Then I cut the hem allowance off. The frayed through and worn edge made that a snap. The stitching had left a track of little holes that made a convenient reference point for folding up a new hem since the current-new bottom edge was uneven from all the fraying. I folded up to about 1/4" above the stitch line. Two rows of bonding web in between, I went section by section around each leg. Once I finished the hemming, I used more bonding web to put hem tape over the raw edge like so: