Saturday, June 4, 2011

Refashion #2 - shirt to cardigan

This refashion came about because of a three-quarter-length sleeve knit shirt that I was so-so on to begin with (I owned it in a light green as well) somehow ended up with a mysterious stain right on the front.  No idea how that happened, but needless to say, the shirt wasn't getting worn.  I also happen to have an aversion to throwing things out if they can be fixed.  I decided to try and turn it into a cardigan using a tutorial I had seen somewhere (I am so sorry I lost the link to it).  I forgot to take a "before" picture, so just envision a v-neck 3/4 sleeve lavender knit top.

I decided to cut up the middle per the tutorial and folded under 1/2" on either side then basted.  To cover the stain I used 1 1/2" wide grosgrain ribbon running vertically up each side.  Below is a picture of it pinned on.
It is hard to see in the picture but the neckline is on the left.  There was a seam there where the neck edging had been sewn on from the back.  This created way too much bulk folded under so the excess had to be cut off in order to sew the grosgrain ribbon down.  That created a new problem of raw knit edges showing on the ends of the neckline.  Luckily I had also bought some lacy hem tape in lavender for this project.  I'm not much for lace and ruffles necessarily, but just the edge folded over the neckline and the rest underneath has a subtle look to it.  I just folded it over, pinned and top-sewed through it as close to the seam with the rest of the top as I could.  Hopefully the pic below will help illustrate my explanation.
Once I got the lace on and tried it on I realized that putting on buttons would distort the side seams.  I wouldn't be able to pull one side over the other without too much stretching because the shirt didn't have enough extra width.  I decided instead to use some hook and bar closures I had since I bought an entire package for the skirt beta.  Sewing in two at the bust area, I left above and below open.  Finished product below:
(Please forgive my slouch.)  So, as a shirt it layered under things not very well which is why I didn't like it much.  As a cardigan it layers over other things so I am hoping I like it better this way.  The embellishment of the ribbon and lace edging turned out very subtle on the finished product so I am debating if it needs something more.  I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment